Friday, May 29, 2020

May 29, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. Getting Old.

Most of the time I know I am old. I am careful when I walk, even around the house. I never move fast. I get a decent amount of exercise everyday. And I try to eat a healthy diet. For the most part I eat no sugar. So I am doing pretty well now that I am old. But every so often I forget how old I really am. My friends Joyce and Robbie sent me frozen meat for Christmas. Now that I have no cook, I have enjoyed having the good meat in the freezer. When I ran out of the gifts, I ordered meat for myself from the same company, Omaha Steaks. While I was ordered, I noted that they were having sales, so I ordered more than expected, knowing that my freezer was empty. The frozen meat arrives in styrofoam cases so I knew what to expect. But when the boxes were left outside, I realized that the boxes were bigger than anticipated. I had over ordered. When I first went outside I noted one large box and another about twice the size. I tried to pick up the smaller of the boxes and decided it was too heavy to lift for me, so I went inside to call my neighbor for help. But when I went back in the house, I decided that I was being a wimp so I went back outside and picked up the smaller box and brought it to the counter. Then I went back outside and dragged the heavy box to the kitchen. Next I opened the boxes and put the frozen meat away. Fortunately it all fit into the freezers. But the next afternoon I had an aching back which surprised me because I do not have trouble with my back. I thought about my back and decided that carrying and dragging the boxes caused me to have a bad back. Also bending over to empty the boxes did not help. So I took a shower and ran hot water over my ailing back. Two days later, my back no longer hurt. And I learned a good lesson, that I was not a wimp, I was merely old. Next time when heavy boxes arrive I will call my neighbor, whose son will cheerfully give me assistance. I must remember that I am old 100% of the time.

No comments: