Sunday, May 31, 2020

May 31, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. Interior.

I eat breakfast sitting in a comfortable chair in the corner of the living room. The windows are beside me so the morning light is excellent for reading. Unless I turn my head, I do not see the view out the window. But I do look at the rest of the house. Most of the time I read but sometimes I just drink tea and look at the objects I can see from my chair. I can see a lovely tile we bought in Scotland. I use it as a trivit on the end table of the couch. It makes me smile just looking at it from across the room. It is a picture of Scotland with blue and green and gray in the ceramic tile. The potter who made the tile was outgoing and fun and I still recall with pleasure the time we chatted with him, along with David and Suzanne. Behind the couch and above my desk is a painting done by Eleanor Sutherland. It is a still life and I love it. Every time I look at the painting I wish she was painting now. On the top of the book case is a small picture of my grandmother Houghton, taken when she was a young child. It is in a filigreed gold frame. The little picture pleases me. A man named Thomas Clerc published a book in France called "Interior". He lives in a 900 square foot apartment in Paris and the book is a description of all his object. It was translated from the French in 2018 and now is being reviewed. One of the reviewers wondered if a list and description of peoples stuff could be considered Literature. This year the paperback has been published in the US so the book is being widely read. I enjoyed the review but I do not intend to read the book. But I spend quite a lot of time appreciating the objects in my house, just as Mr. Clerc did in his book. Sometimes I even mention those objects when I write my little blog. But I certainly do not consider those objects significant except me. But I did laugh when I read the review. And I continue to admire and appreciate all my stuff.

No comments: