Wednesday, May 6, 2020

May 6, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. PET Scan.

The technology is wonderful and amazing. The machine looks into your body and tells you what is in there. The only reason I go through the process is because of the results. At some point in my life I might just say I am never having another. The best part is the staff. Each one is competent and enthusiastic. They make the procedure tolerable. This morning I had another in a long series of Pet scans. And I had blood drawn. But I did not wait to meet with Dr. Sheehan. The plan was to have a teleconference with her at noon. So no more waiting. I just needed to be by the phone at noon. My results were some good and some bad. My blood work was normal, which is good. But my scan showed four more cancers in my bones. One is good sized and in the same spot as the first scan in 2014. The other three were on ribs, one in the front and two in back. And all three new. So it is back on Ibrance for me. It has worked in the past so I assume it will work again. The chemo has been ordered at the pharmacy and approved by my insurance. The pharmacy will sent the meds and will appear at my door. This is a big change from 2015 when Ibrance was newly on the market. Only one specialty pharmacy in Florida made the drug and it was very expensive. Now 5 years later, Ibrance is old hat. It will actually come from the Baptist Hospital's own pharmacy. The main issue with Ibrance is the immune system. My blood counts go way down so I must stay away from people to avoid infections. I was practicing social distancing long before the virus. So no parties or crowds, nor visits to the grocery store. I did go out for meals as long as I sat away from people. Outside restaurants are the best. I have been off chemo for 18 months. My system worked just fine. I had no infections. I am used to the drill. So here I go.

No comments: