Friday, January 1, 2021

January 1, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. 2020.

For most people in the world, 2020 was a difficult year. Jobs just disappeared. Education became isolating. Social life disappeared. Life was not easy. But for me, my life was not so different. As I was on Ibrance all year, I was already required to stay away from people who I did not know did not have infections. That was my system when I was on chemo before so I just continues that plan, long before social distancing was popular. I stayed away from the grocery store and the drug store already so life did not change. The restaurants were only open for carry out so Christina and the girls brought our brunch home to me and we ate at the dining table, staying apart. Kate stayed away from me as she was in contact with the virus at the hospital. As soon as the restaurants became open to dining inside, they were required to keep the tables well away from other tables, which actually made my life easier. In former times when I was on Ibrance we always looked for the table at the outer corner, or we ate outside. Now with table spaced apart, my life is easier. The same is true for flying. I was the only person wearing a mask on the planes but now everyone wears one. And the planes are cleaner as is the air. I have a small circle of friends in Mississippi so I only contact a limited number people in a week. So I have managed to avoid the virus by doing what I have always done when taking chemotherapy, which was to avoid people. My life actually got a little easier . But no matter what, all my family members have thrived and survived in 2020. And for that I am grateful.

No comments: