Monday, January 25, 2021

January 25, 2021. Playa Royale, Mexico. Dredging.

Across the street from me are two huge containers of water. These huge tanks have plastic linings. Sometimes the tanks are full and some have less water. Last year was the first time these huge containers were installed so I asked at the front desk and was told they are holding tanks from the dredging in the canal. Ever since we have lived here the dredging of the canal has always been a fixture. At fist the big pipes carring the sand was dumped beside the rock groins but I suppose the areas were full. Now they bring the water and sand in big trucks which are empties into the tanks. Evidently evaporation takes care of the water, leave the sand behind to be used for construction. I paid no attention last winter, but this year I have paid more attention. I have spotted large white birds fishing for their dinner in those big tanks. I did not think about this before I spotted the birds but as they suck up the sand and water, fish also get brought into the big tank. And the big white birds have spotted them. I watch the action every day. Huge pipes spew the muddy water into the tank. When the tank is full, that tank is left alone while the other tank has other workers who remove the sand. I do not know where the sand goes next. But it is an interesting work. There are lots of other birds over fishing too but they are too small for me to see without binoculars. Unfortuntely I do not have any here. Grrr. On the plans for this area, the large lot across the street was to be a rehabilitation facility. But the owner was never able to obtain the permit. Now half of the lot is taken up by parked boats and the other half has these monster tanks of water. Now it is a great spot to watch birds too. I see them every afternoon when they come for their evening meal. They keep me amused.

No comments: