Sunday, January 17, 2021

January 17, 2021. Playa Royale, Mexico. "Travels with Bobby."

I am enjoying this book. I will be sorry when I finish reading my last chapter. Perhaps I am enjoying this book because the author lives down the street from me and along with his wife Carrie, is a good friend. Or perhaps he has written about areas of the west where Ken and I travelled and loved. This is the firt book written by Brooks when he retired. It tells about 6 trips that he and Bobby took in the western mountains. Once a year they took a hiking and camping trip into the mountains. They had both camped but never in the mountains so they learned the hard way. These two Mississippi men, both lawyers, love being outdoors in beautiful places. Maybe that is the reason for the charm of the book. They are both in love taking these annual journeys to the mountains. They started taking these trips when they were 50. All of these stories were places of beauty where Ken and I travelled and hiked in all but one. Now I am keen to get home to Mississippi to talk with him about these places they hiked and camped. Sometimes they backpacked, which Ken and I have never done. But we hiked in all the places. And they remain in my mind. The brain is a wonderful camera. As Brooks describes the scenes of the lovely alpine meadows beside the crystal clear lakes, my mind puts those pictures in my mind. Amazing really because some of our trips were taken many years ago. But the pictures are all in my brain. Hats off to Brooks Eason for providing me such a delightful reminder of the beauty of the west. He is now working on his fourth book, but not about more Travels with Bobby. I am pleased he wrote this one.

No comments: