Tuesday, January 26, 2021

January 26, 2021. Playa Royale, Mexico. "Biloxi."

Many months ago I watched a program on PBS called Conversation where the guest was Mary Miller. Marshall Ramsey is the host although his day job as a polical cartoonish, headquarted in Jackson. He is a good interviewer. Most guests are writers. Most writers live in Mississippi. I always enjoy the half hour show and after the Mary Miller program I ordered her latest book, "Biloxi". But I put in the pile of books I want to read. I did not read it until now. For the past few years I have been reading non fiction. I am not sure why I have rejected fiction but I did. This Biloxi book was fiction. During the interview they discussed the humor in the book and the plot seemed interesting so I thought I would enjoy it. The author lives in Oxford but when she was writing this book she lived in Biloxi, a small city on the Mississippi Gulf Coast. I have taken four books with me to Mexico along with unread magazines, Commentary and The New Critrion. I have now finished three books. I was not much interested in this Biloxi book until the middle. I kept looking for the humor and the plot. I was interested in the fact that the main charachter was an 63 year old man who lived alone. His wife had left him 6 months before and when his father died he retired because he thought he would inherit money. But at about the middle of the book I wanted to be able to read faster. I ended up enjoying the book. I discovered humor and I appreciated the huge detail of the interior dialog. All is well as ends well. This is the third book by Mary Miller. Another is in the mill. Finally, I could recommend this book but it took me awhile!

No comments: