Tuesday, November 29, 2022

November 30, 2022. Madison, Mississippi. My Beer Steins.

In my house in Mississippi are three chairs I sit in every day.  One chair is in the corner of the living room, beside the window.  I sit in that chair every morning for breakfast.  And I read.  Opposite that chair is a couch.  I sit at the far end and read e mails.  Right beside me on the couch I keep my ipad plus chargers.  Then in the little TV room is my chair where I eat meals when I am alone.  All chairs are comfortable.  Beside each chair can be found a beer stein, full of water.

Beside the breakfast chair is a beer stein I bought just outside of Hershey, Pennsylvania.  It looks old, because it was made in the style of the first settlers.  The stein is brown with black flecks.  When fired, charcoal was placed inside which gave the black marking to the pottery.  I bought it at an antique store, when I was at a RE meeting in Hershey.  The store owner was quick to tell me that the pottery was not old, but was made in the old style.  I like it.

Beside my email couch is a Blue Mountain Pottery stein, which is made in Ontario.  I bought that stein for $1. in Galveston in 1964, at a yard sale.  The owner had no clue where the stein was made.  Bit I did.  I have enjoyed it ever since. 

Beside my TV chair is a blue pottery stein from Austria.  I brought that stein home with me one year when we were skiing.  It is heavy.  It has pretty markings which I like.  So every day my helper Portia fills my three steins.  Sometimes the TV stein needs refilling.  These three steins bring me pleasure.  Memory is a wonderful thing.

No comments: