Sunday, November 6, 2022

November 6, 2022. Madison, Mississippi. Rain.

There is nothing better than hearing rain falling in the middle of the night.  I don't mean heavy rain.  I mean lightly falling rain.  I do not enjoy storms with thunder and lightning with pouring rain.  Those storms in the middle of the night make me fearful.  But just the pitter patter of the rain  in the middle of the night brings pleasure.

The same is true doing an afternoon nap.   No better nap than when it is raining.  This week I have had both.  The other night it rained during the night and yesterday it rained in the afternoon.  Our problem here is that the rain did not last very long.  We are dry.  Normally, Mississippi gets 52 inches of rain each year.  I had never lived with that much rain.  But the rain here comes in torrents.  And then it stops.  But not this year.  The Mississippi River is so low that the barges can not navigate.  Since we lived here, he River has flooded three times.  But this is the first time that the River was too lacking in water.

Next week, Chris and I will drive to Natchez to see the River when the flow is low.  So I especially love to hear the rain at night because I know we need the rain.  But we need more.  In Texas, at church, they pray for rain.  Normally that is not necessary here.  But perhaps the churches will begin to ask people to pray for rain in Mississippi.  .  We need it.

No comments: