Wednesday, June 12, 2019

June 12, 2019. San Antonio, Texas. Temperature.

Now begins the inside season in Texas. On Sunday, David worked in the yard from 8 to 12. When he came inside, he was pouring sweat and declared that working outside was impossible. The temperature was 97. Then in the evening it rained and a big storm was supposed to hit the area. We had lots of rain and thunder, but no big storm. But a front came through so late in the morning, Suzanne and I went for a walk. As we walked out of the house, Suzanne commented on how cool it was. As we walked, we met neighbors and working people who all mentioned the weather. They were all so pleased that the weather was cool. Finally, I said to Suzanne that the weather was not actually very cool. By my phone the temperature was 84, which in Liverpool would be a hot summer day. Suzanne agreed and we laughed but for Texans, when the temperature could be 100 in June, getting 84 is a welcome respite. In the winter in Canada people stay indoors unless they are having fun in the snow and ice so it becomes the indoor season. The same is true for Texas but reversed. In the summer months, people stay indoors unless they are playing outside in the water or the beach. This is the indoor season. But I am escaping. Tomorrow I fly to Halifax where when the temperature turns 80 they feel it is unconscionably hot. When I arrive at home in Western Head I will put on my wool socks to keep warm. And I will enjoy the clean non muggy air. Their outdoor season is just beginning. I am just in time.

No comments: