Monday, June 3, 2019

June3, 2019. Canyon Lake, Texas. The Library Store.

This morning when I got out of bed I realized that my night dress had ripped right down the back. I felt sad. The night dress was made of very light fine cotton. It had little white buttons all down the front, with tucks all across the front. It was blue and long and I always wore it at the lake when the weather was hot. I bought that nightdress at The Library Store in Harper , Texas for the princely price of $1. I would never have purchased it in a real store because it would have been too expensive. but for $1. I loved it and wore it cheerfully for ten years. The Library Store is in business to provide extra funds for the Harper Library. People donate objects and clothing to the store and the volunteers sort and display them for sale. Once a year they have a major sale to raise even more money. Ken and I shopped there regularly. On Tuesdays, senior citizens had a 20% discount. Every time we were at the ranch we shopped at the Library Store. We loved the place. One day Ken bought 5 pair of pants which cost him ten dollars. I have a long dressing gown I bought at The Library Store for two dollars. I wore it when David and Suzanne were here. In the early part of the 19th Century, The Harper Library was in action prior to the establishment of the Texas Library system so volunteers obtained donations of books in order to start the library. Committees in Harper raised money to buy books. When the State took over the library, the locals kept the fund raising going. They put computers in the Library long before any other Library and they gave classes. So the Library Store has a long tradition of raising money. I feel sorry not to shop in Harper. The days of good buys are over. I already miss my pretty blue nightdress purchased at The Library Store in Harper, Texas, just down the road from the ranch.

No comments: