Tuesday, June 18, 2019

June 18, 2019. Western Head, Nova Scotia. A Busy Day.

I have used the same cleaning service for over 15 years but ten years ago, the small company was purchased by a man who had moved to Liverpool to retire. He made his money by buying companies who were struggling and fixed them up until profitable, then sold them. Ken and I got to know them but never got to know them well. But we were friendly at social events and in town. The first thing he did when taking over was to upgrade the accounting system. The former owners were from Newfoundland and we liked their quirky ways. They would send me a bill for the whole season, when we were just heading home. All was well but I missed the former owners and when the cleaning deteriorated, my friend Mary Mc. said I needed a change. So I hired the lady who cleans for Gill. And I fired my old company. Also the Culligan water company man checked the systems in both houses. They will return to the Guest House next week to install a rod to the hot water heater to remove the sulphur smell. And the electrician, John, installed a new system for lights in the garage. Every year when I arrive the lights do not work well so George needs to replace them. John assures me that the new system will be working when I come in June of 2020. The first task when we purchased this home was to install a new roof, so 21 years ago the roof was newly installed by George, our builder. I had a metal roofing contractor come to give me an estimate. Whew. No warranty on metal roofs on the shore, and a price of $29,000. Fortunately, he said the roof looks pretty good so should last a few more winters. Then at the end of the day, Gill came to see how I liked her cleaning lady Jackie. I gave a favorable report. And we had a good short visit. My day was productive and pleasant. And to top it all off, the weather was lovely but breezy. Pretty good day all round.

No comments: