Tuesday, June 4, 2019

June 4, 2019. Canyon Lake, Texas. Beautiful Objects.

We were not able to come to Texas in 2018 so many of the objects I have not seen for a couple of years. I had forgotten what was here but as I prowled around looking at everything both large and small I was pleased. On the mantle is a lovely glass vase, given to Ken and me by Dave and Irene many years ago. It was hand done by an artist in Hamilton, Ontario. Once upon a time it graced our home on Franklin Street and was lovely when the light from the solarian in the afternoon lit it up. Next it went to our condo in Chevy Chase and then to the farm. We drove it with us to the ranch where it sat on the buffet on the Top House. Finally it rests on the mantel of the main room at the lake house. It is an especially important piece of art because the artist has died. It is a beautiful piece of blown glass with a heavy base and swirling colors of blue, purple and pink. On the other end of the mantel are two pieces of decorate art made at the Wimberley Glass. They have been in business for 25 years in the little town just north of Canyon Lake. The Master Artist is the owner along with his wife. They give demonstrations of glass blowing, which we have seen half a dozen times. We have visited their shop ever since we moved here. We own 6 glasses with dark blue half way up the glass as well as one purple beer stein. A few years ago they moved to a bigger shop and they no longer make mundane items such as glasses and steins. About ten years ago we bought those two pieces of glass, which are beautiful. They always sat at each end of the mantel in the Top House. They look lovely here at the lake, where I guess they will stay. We brought all our art from the ranch and David and Suzanne hung them all. I love looking at them. Years ago I started a collection of paintings of women reading, after Irene gave me a book of postcards of paintings of women reading. We bought our first and last painting at the Green house Gallery in San Antonio. Now the painting looks down at me from the wall in the main house. Our art here is wonderful and I enjoy walking around looking at every piece. I am delighted to be able to enjoy all these beautiful objects here at the lake house.

No comments: