Tuesday, June 25, 2019

June 25, 2019. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Stewart Jenkins.

At 10:00 this morning, I received information from the caterer. They would be unable to bring our meals. They were to begin next Monday. I had spoken withN Nicole twice to be sure they could cater for us this summer and was assured that everything would be in place. But they changed their mind. This summer they are short staffed. On the phone I thought Nicole was upset to be telling me this. I ended up consoling her. But for me, I had a problem. I do not cook. David Jenkins came to my rescue. Gill is having a big party at the Mersey Community Hall in August and she found a new caterer from friend Karen. Gill has hired him to cater the party although she has not yet tasted his cooking. I called Gill for his phone number. I chatted with him and he came to meet with me this afternoon. And he will cook for me. He will bring dinner in the afternoon and put the dinner in the garage fridge. We will heat and eat the dinner, the same system we used with the Riverbank. Disaster averted. Stewart owns Kingfisher convenience store and restaurant in Greenfield. He has owned it and cooked for 32 years. He has always cooked for a living. But when he turned 60, he decided he wanted to be a chef, not a cook so he sold his business and went to culinary school in Halifax. He kept the land, fortunately. He graduated top of the class and now has a certificate saying that he is a master chef. But the new owner was not enjoying the business, so he asked Stewart to buy it back, which he did, but for a lower price. So he and his wife of 25 wears still own and run the Kingfisher Center. But he also does catering to expand his horizon. I enjoyed meeting with him. His wife will deliver ands he will cook. And we will enjoy his cooking. I no longer am worried. Stewart came to my rescue. Whew.

No comments: