Tuesday, March 17, 2020

March 17, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. Simple Pleasures.

Fortunately I have cultivated the ability to appreciate simple pleasures. Like everyone else, I enjoy the highlights in my life but I have also enjoyed the simple pleasures. This life we are living requires us to forgo the major events in our life. We can not attend concerts or movies or sporting events. Churches are closed as are all large groups. The only things left to keep us amused are the little things we can enjoy at home. This morning I sat looking at the trees outside my bedroom window. Spring time is not like magic. It is magic. When I arrived here the trees were bare. The leaves were all gone. The tree looked dead. But one week ago I could see buds. Now I see little leaves. When I walk in my neighborhood I see azaleas in bloom everywhere. Ny neighbor has a magnificent red hedge. I first noticed it last year but this year I have been waiting for it. One week ago it was just a long green hedge. Now it is gorgeous. And across the street in the front yard are masses of white azaleas. The only trouble is that the blossoms do not last long. This week we will get to 80 degrees so the new growth will overwhelm the blossoms. But for now, the blossoms are beautiful This evening on TV I watched a National Geographic program on Hawaii. The first hour was on the land and the second hour was on the sea. I loved every minute. We have visited Hawaii twice so many of the pictures I had seen but the show was wonderful. At a time when we am not able to travel, watching that show was the next best thing to being there. And my last pleasure is reading. It gives me the greatest pleasure. With all these simple pleasures at our finger tips we have no need to feel despondent. And I am not. This too shall pass.

No comments: