Thursday, March 19, 2020

March 19, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. Spreading Cheer.

I saw a small item on the news today. Families have put up their Christmas lights. I thought it a wonderful idea. The lights let everyone know that you are alive and well and of good cheer. I will be interested in knowing if this idea catches on around the country. I of course can not follow their lead as we gave all out outside Christmas lights away. On Monday afternoon I received a call from my friend Eleanor, asking if I was going to be home in an hour. Eleanor and Greta Barbour arrange flowers for their church. Each Monday, the large arrangements are broken up and taken to nursing homes but this week, no visitors are allowed in the nursing homes, so Eleanor separated the arrangement, bought plastic vases and distributed them to people that she knew were pretty house bound. She arrived at my door with a lovely flower arrangement, which now brightens my home. She was indeed on a mission to spread cheer. I have been hearing of professional athletes donating funds to help pay the salaries of the workers who are out of work, now that the stadiums are closed. It seemed such a good idea. Christina brought brunch to me on Sunday. The owner was delighted to see her. Taking out that food certainly gave a bit of cheer to the little restaurant. I have been interested to see how much people are helping to get through the crises of the virus. Every little bit helps. My friend Joyce sent me a video of a group singing the old song from the 2nd WW, "There will be bluebirds over, the white cliffs of Dover". It was sung by a group of women soldiers, performed on one of those Talent contests. It was beatifically done, and timely. I feel sure the rendition spread cheer. I for one, loved it.

No comments: