Friday, March 27, 2020

March 27, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. The Olympic Channel.

Until last year, I did not know anything about The Olympic Channel. Who knew? I often switched to see what they are showing. Any sport played at the Olympics eventually can be seen on their channel. I have watched badminton and rowing. And even curling. Nothing is live on TV right now but the Olympic Channel has been showing replays of the recent championships, all of which I missed. So I have watched ice skating, and gymnastics. They have also shown speed skating and biathlons and cross country skiing. And they have been showing lots of down hill skiing competition which I like to watch for a very small time. The same with luge. Everything seems the same. The interesting thing for me to notice is how little of these sports I have seen on TV. All the competitions have been held within the past 6 months. Yet I have seen none before now. Last evening, a well known commentator interviewed several athletes asking the question of what their response was with the news of the postponement of the Olympics. I only watched for a few interviews but every athlete approved the delay. They all commented that training was impossible. Pools had closed and no competitions were being held. One track athlete said that many of the athletes had yet to qualify for the Olympics and needed to get their times accepted. This was most important with the young athletes. So the interviews were interesting and surprising. Certainly made sense. This evening they were showing a rock climbing competition. The athletes are marvelous but watching is boring. They climb then they fall. But I like the channel and applaud their efforts to keep the channel interesting. I am ready for real competition.

No comments: