Saturday, March 28, 2020

March 28, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. Carrie & Brooks.

Today they came for coffee, expecting to have a cup of coffee and leave after an hour. They arrived at 10:30 and left at 1:00. I loved every minute of their visit. Two years ago, our neighbors Sandy and Archie invited friends for a glass of wine. It was spur of the moment. She called at 4 to come at 5. One couple I had never met although they knew me. They sat on their screen porch watching me as I walked past. They were pleasant but they told me they were moving and had just purchased a condo in a retirement community. After moving, their plan was to sell their house. The place took a long time to sell. When I left this winter, the house had just sold. When I returned three months later the house was still being renovated. But two weeks ago when I was walking, I spotted cars in the driveway so I stopped to introduce myself. I met the couple who own the place plus their daughter and son in law along with grandchildren. They were to move into their new home in a week. This week I invited Carrie and Brooks for coffee this morning. They enjoyed the view while we sat in the living room and talked. I enjoy getting to know new people so it was a great pleasure finding out everything about them. Brooks is retired although he is only 60. But he has written and published two books and is working on the next two. He said the first book took five years to complete while the second was quicker. In fact, he should be on a book tour in the US right now but of course, the virus cancelled them all. Carrie is a bit younger and is still working. I am delighted to have met new friends just down the street from me. In true southern fashion, she brought me a cherry tart, which is really a pie without a full top. Tomorrow I will serve it for lunch when Christina and the girls come for brunch. One problem of being old is finding new people to get to know. But I am pleased that I went out of my way to stop to say hello and to invite them for a visit. They are lively energetic people. And I like them both.

No comments: