Sunday, October 18, 2020

October 18, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. Front Yard Concert.

Friends Carrie and Brooks held a front yard concert this evening. I knewe they had done them in the past but did not know they were holding one today, until I went for a walk. Invitations were sent when I was away so I never received an ionvitartion but I just happenened to go for a walk around 4:00 when folks were gathering. Carrie spotted me and invited me so I stayed. And I enjoyed the music. Carrie and Brooks started these events after going on a cruise and getting to know the musicians. They made a plan to host a concert outside and invite friends and relatives. They charge people $20. which goes to the musicians. People bring lawn chairs and beverage while they provide ice. Today they were holding two sessions because you are only alloweds a certain number for an outside event. Carrie cooks dinner for the two musicians and they stay overnight in their guest rooms. The musicians have stuff to sell too. I always thought it was a splendid idea and now that I attended tonights performance I agree with the concept. I loved every minute. Being talented and a musician does not make for an easy life. The two musicians who performed tonight are from New Orleans which is a big town for musicians. The two young men were talented and good. One on a guitar and the other on a bass. They were professionals in every way. But the last few months have been difficult. All their gigs were cancelled and stayed cancelled. This week, for the first time since the shutdown they have worked, playing backyard concerts to limited people. And Nov.1 they will cut another disc. The studios were also shut down. But they were pleased to drive from New Orleans to perform for us. The weather was perfect and I just got lucky to be out walking at just the right time.

No comments: