Saturday, October 3, 2020

October 3, 2020. San Antonio, Texas. Attitude.

The other evening in Liverpool, I had just finished a delightful coctail hour in the home of my friend Sandra. John and Nancy were there too. Next, we four were to have dinner at Lanes. As we left the house to get in the car, John offered me his arm to navigate the stairs and the walkway. As we walked down the stairs in the late twilight, John commented to me that I must hate to be forced to have help getting down the stairs and into the car. I just laughed and responded that that attitude never crossed my mind. I said that I was just grateful that some kind friend was available to help me. And that is true. As Ken and I got older and began to have diminished expertise, we never spoke about what we could no longer do. Rather, we focused on what we were able to accomplish. What we can do today was what we spoke about. We certainly did not dwell on what we could no longer do in the past. This seems simple and obvious but our neighbors at the ranch, who moved from Corpus Christie in Texas from being in the construction business talked incessintly about what he could not do that he once could do easily. And both he and his wife seemed to be obsessed with their ill health, which was not nearly as bad as ours. Ken and I of course never discussed our health issues. With them always bemoaning their health and their deteriorating activity level they were difficult to talk with. They were a pain. Ken and I had a different attitude and we were happy with our life. Now I know I have real issues to deal with. But unless necessary, I never think about those parts of my body that do not work so well. I merely dwell on what I am able to accomplish. For instance, Suzanne and David are busily organize for their move. The only thing I can do to help is to pack boxes. So that is what I did. I don't feel bad that I can not carry those boxes. I just focus on what I am able to do. And that is enough. I am happy and so are David and Suzanne. Attitude is all.

No comments: