Friday, October 23, 2020

October 23, 2020. Madison, Mississippi. Lisa & Lunch.

Lisa is a good friend and also excellent company. And she meets me for lunch, and then drives me home. I met Lisa at a Thanksgiving dinner, held by Jim and Eleanor for family and friends. Lisa is married to the youngest of the Greaves family, so I knew who she was but had never met her. I was fortunate to be seated next to Lisa so we chattedand we because friends. She has come for coffee and we go out for lunch. Today we had a good time at Amerigo where we had lunch. Lisa is the mother of 4 children. She home schools the children. She was a nurse but has not worked since the children were born. She is also an excellent cook. And she reads a lot so we have many interesting conversations when we share writers and books. Her eldest is now at the University of Mississippi at Oxford, where she is studying engineering. For the last two years of high school, the children attend an accademy to take the science and math classes that Lisa feels she is not qualified to teach. So the second child is in the 11th grade while Lisa still teaches the two younger children. So she is a busy lady, but she still takes the time to come out with me, which I appreciate. One thing she has been doing this semester for school was to invite four other friend's children, who are also home schooled, to come once a week to read Shakespeare. The 7 children have been reading Hamlet outloud together. And they have had fun. She gives out prizes for good readings. Next week, she has asked the kids to select a passage and come in costume. And read their favorite passage. She will present a prize to the best performance. Only in Mississippi I suspect would you find grade school children excited about reading Shakespear outloud. She kept the sessions light without much explanations. And she said the kids have enjoyed the sessions. I have always been fortunate with my friends. I feel fortunate to be a friend of Lisa.

No comments: