Wednesday, June 15, 2022

June 15, 2022. Western Head, Nova Scotia. My Bedroom.

The bedroom in our Nova Scotia home has always brought us great pleasure.  We both had good reading lights and comfortable chairs so most evenings, Ken and I would read in the bedroom.  Now that I live by myself, my bedroom is even more welcoming.  The moment I walk into the room and close the door, all the worries of the day disappear and I am at peace.  I have had nice bedrooms in the past and they never gave me the same sense of calm.  My bedroom in Mississippi is lovely but it is just a bedroom overlooking the reservoir.  This Nova Scotia bedroom seems more like a nest.  I have been trying to figure out why I enjoy this room so much.

One reason is the art.  Over the bed is a large painting made by the sister of friend, Denise S., Kate Holmes.  The canvas is full of happy pigs playing with balls on the beach, with a tiny lighthouse in the horizon.  The words say, By The Sea.  I have 18 other nieces of art, both large and small.  Each one if beautiful in their own way and each piece makes me smile.  When I enter the room I am among friends.  And they make me happy.  Several of the artist are now deceased so I like to recall the purchases and the artists who are still alive on my walls.

One other aspect of my bedroom is that no one ever gets to see all the beautiful pieces of art.  Now when I enter my bedroom every evening, I feel as though I am entering my own private den.  And I smile.

No comments: