Monday, June 20, 2022

June 20, 2022. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Friends and Covid.

 Ever since March 2020 when Covid first arrived in my life, I have been observing the difference in behavior.  Some of my friends kept away from everyone and stayed at home, all by themselves.  My cleaning lady in Mississippi reported that 20% of her clients would not allow her to enter their home to clean.  Many folks wore a mask all the time, even when outside by themselves.  I observed people driving their car alone wearing a mask.  Everyone seemed to have a different method of feeling safe.  My thinking is that it is still the case.

In Nova Scotia, masks are optional.  I still see folks wearing masks on the streets or in the stores.  Most people are wearing a mask in the movies and concerts, I am told.  And I have friends in Liverpool who will not be inside with anyone except family.  Even wearing a mask.  They will wait for better weather to meet and greet friends.  And they certainly will not go to an indoor restaurant.

It is interesting how wide the differences  in behavior.  The Canadian government is still mandating masks in all federal buildings and in public transportation which includes planes and buses.  I have friends who even wear a mask when coming into my house.  And I have friends who will not come for dinner, until we can eat outdoors.  I have seen  a  wide range of normal.  For me, I just keep up my normal drill of staying away from groups of people, not because of Covid but because of all infections.  My system has worked.

No comments: