Thursday, June 23, 2022

June 23, 2022. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Infections and Me.

I have been using social distancing long before Covid came along.  In the Fall of 2014 I began chemotherapy.  One side effect was to reduce my immune system. So after consulting the Oncologist, I decided to avoid people who might have an infection.  In other words, I stayed away from anyone who I did not know was healthy.  My system worked but limited my activities.  I never went into large groups of people.  I stayed out of grocery stores and pharmacies.  I never went to movies or plays or church.  And I did not get any infections.  No colds.  No flu.  And not many people.

I always went to restaurants, sitting in corners well away from people.  And we ate outside if possible.  Every so often, when my scans were clear, I did not take Ibrance and my immune system bounced back so I was able to be out and about.  But that has only ben two six month periods since 2014.  So for the most part, I have avoided groups.  

Then along came Covid and my life got easier.  On airplanes, everyone wore a mask, not just me.  And people kept their distance, which was good for me.   And everyone was staying home, not just me.   I still visited with my friends but only with folks who were healthy.  By using social distancing I have been able to keep infections at bay.  I foolishly took a bus tour of Portland, Maine the day of the cruise.  I knew better but as everyone tested negative, I thought I was safe.  That was a mistake.  It was the only time since 2014 that was with a group of people.  And it cost me.

Now I am back to my old ways of only seeing people who I know are healthy.  My system has worked.

No comments: