Monday, August 29, 2022

August 29, 2022. Western Head, Nova Scotia. A Double Life.

I have always been intrigued with the question of leading a double life.  Not to long ago, a well known journalist died.  When his will was made public, it turned out that he had a whole second family living in Montana.  He had a second wife and family, unknown to his wife and family in Washington, DC.  What a surprise that must have been.

Then my friend down the street  who is a writer discovered last year that his grandfather who he dearly loved, had left a wife and family behind in the north and west when he moved to Mississippi.  The wife he left behind was never discussed when he married and had several children..  My friend only discovered this secret life when he was researching records for another book.  Lo and behold, the same person appears in a censes who was married and who had children.  Now my friend has just published a book about that ancestor.

Closer to home, my friend Pat and I recently had a conversation about a man who was a good friend for many years.  He and his wife were also good friends with my family and other friends.  He was a fine friend.  Funny, interesting, able with no hint of scandal.  On the other hand, ,y friend Bev told me once that the same gentleman had been a serial kleptomaniac, who had lost several jobs due to his bad habits.  The true story will never be told because the gentleman has died and his wife has loss of memory.  But I for one would love to find out the whole story.  People are endlessly interesting for sure.  

No comments: