Tuesday, August 9, 2022

August 9, 2022. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Sterling and Connie.

"We are having a trip of a lifetime," said Sterling.  Ten years ago I retired and left Bethesda.  I have not spoken with Sterling and Connie since that time.  Before then, we worked together.  But three days ago I received a message on Facebook telling me that they are coming to Halifax, arriving on their boat.  Then they were to come along the coast and stop in Liverpool to say hello.  I was thrilled.

Sterling gave me his cell number and I returned the favor by sending him mine.  Today he called from Halifax.  They had arrived last night, weary from their journey in Cape Breton, so they slept.  And he called this morning.  Their plan is to spend time in Halifax, then stop a bit in Chester and then Lunenbery, then come to the marina in Brooklyn, where we hope to get together.  Such a surprise.  And such fun seeing them.

They left in their trawler in May from the Chesapeake Bay.  They have been on their boat ever since.  And they are having a wonderful time.   We will get details later but they went from the Bay to the Hudson River and then through the Erie Canal to the St.Lawrence River and the Seaway into Lake Ontario.  They have spent the rest of the supper on the Great Lakes and now enjoying Nova Scotia as they wend their way down the coast, finally returning to the Chesapeake Bay.  No doubt about it.  This has been the trip of a lifetime.  Now I look forward to hearing all about it.

No comments: