Thursday, April 13, 2023

April 13, 2023. Madison, Mississippi. Rain. Rain. Rain.

 I have never lived with such sustained rain.  Starting last evening, the rain has been falling and falling and falling.  You wonder how much rain can come from.  All night, it poured, which I like.  Listening to the rain  all night when snug in my cosy bed is pure pleasure.  But it did not stop.  All day today it poured rain.  And it is still raining.

Year round, the foliage in Mississippi is green.  That is because Mississippi gets 52 inches of rain each year.  Ken and I had never lived with that amount of rain.  The main difference we note when living here was that the rain comes down in torrents.  When it pours it really pours.  But this April I have seen a different side of rain.  During a storm, Mississippi people just stay home and wait.  The storms do not last long.  But the rain today just kept coming.

This morning Portia drove to my appointment with the Oncologist.  The drive was difficult.  The rain was heavy as was the traffic.  And visibility was limited.  I do not know if there was fog or spray from the road but  I was wishing the rain would stop.  But it never did.  Driving home was just as bad.  Usually, I like days of rain.  But 24 hours of heavy rain is too much.  And it is still raining.  Forecast tomorrow is for more rain.  Now I know how we get that 52 inches of rain.  It just keeps on coming and coming.  Amazing.

No comments: