Monday, April 17, 2023

April 17, 2023. Madison, Mississippi. Chantes.

Yesterday, Christina noticed that the toilet seat in the powder room was broken so I did what I always do which is call my handyman, Chantes.  He always comes to my rescue.  I phoned him this morning and he came by later in the afternoon.  It took him a second to say that I need a new toilet seat.  He went to Lowes and my new seat was installed in half an hour.  Then we sat and chatted.

He is not so busy right now, so he will check my decks to be sure that all is sturdy.  When Anna and Abe were here Abe mentioned that there were broken boards on the decks.  But I forgot about it until today.  Now Chantes will evaluate what needs to be done tomorrow and give me a price.  I will be pleased to get the deck repaired.  In addition, we talked about his family.

Chantes still has family in Cuba.  Their situation is not getting any better.  They are very poor and the medical supplies are non existent.  They have doctors in Cuba but no medicines.  His siblings would like to come to the US.  He is helping them but it is expensive.  So far, he is sponsoring 7 family members to come legally to the US.  A brother and sister plus their spouses and children are applying and Chantes must show enough income to support them.  Then when their visa is approved, they will come to Mississippi to live and get work.  This is a daunting task but Chantes is doing it, just to help his family.

Chantes is an unusual handyman.  He is from Cuba with a degree in engineering from Cuba and a Masters degree in Mechanical engineering from Moscow.  But he has no American credentials so works as a builder and handyman.  He has been helping me here since 2015.  And I would not like to be without him. He always helps when I come calling for help.  I am very fortunate indeed.

No comments: