Monday, January 16, 2017

January 16, 2016. Playa Royale, Mexico. The Mega.

The best time to go to the Mega grocery store is Monday afternoon.  I arrived at 1:30 and the place was not crowded a bit.  The funniest part of being at the store is watching folks try to read the objects on the shelves.    When you are not local, figuring out what is in the packager can be a trick.  Sometimes there is a pictures, which helps, but most non speaking Spanish folks spend lots of time trying to figure out what is the can or box.  Imported stuff is expensive so we shoppers are always trying to buy Mexican made food but first we must figure out what is inside.  

Two  years ago I brought home a box that I thought was a soup mix.  The instructions were to add water and heat.  But it turned out to be dog food.  Who could tell?   There were no pictures of dogs.

I know to quit shopping when my cart is too full and when I lose my cart.  This afternoon, I had left the produce to last so I was piling the fruit and vegetables into an already full cart.  Instead of moving my heavy cart, I left it in an obvious place.  Except after I had picked up several bags of things,  I could not find my cart.  I needed a young man to find it for me .  He thought I was daft.   So I quickly checked out and got into a waiting taxi.  The kind driver loaded all my stuff into his trunk and also on the big cart to take the groceries up to our unit.  

Ken unloaded the groceries and put them away while I drank a glass of water.    He found no dog food  this year.  I have become an experiences shopper in Mexico at the Mega.

No comments: