Thursday, January 19, 2017

January 19, 2017. Playa Royale, Mexico. More Wonderings.

Years ago, when we were in Costa Rico, I had a conversation with a local about politicians.  He told me that in Central and South America, people get elected and during their tenure, they get rich.  We were looking at the house of a past president.  The house was big.  My eyes were big.  He also said that he had read that in the US, this did not happen.  I agreed with him and  gave hime a couple of examples such as Truman and Eisenhower who were both definitely not rich when they left office.

I had been wondering how our soon to be ex-president could afford to buy an expensive house in Kalorama, in NW Washington.   Then I read on the internet that both of the Obamas are multi millionaires, and they got their money during the 8 years when they were in the White House.  How did this happen?   No one seems to know the answer but I am still wondering.

Our pattern has always been to get successful, then go into politics.  Both the Clintons and the Obamas prove me wrong.   Maybe we are becoming a banana republic after all.

No comments: