Monday, April 15, 2019

April 15, 2019. Madison, Mississippi. U.S. Post.

Wendy and Ken took a package of documents that needed to go to OPM for me. They paid to have it sent overnight, guaranteed with delivery the next afternoon. Wendy had a tracking number. But it did not appear. The tracking still showed the package was in Jackson. So Wendy investigated. This afternoon, we were told that the package never left Jac son, until today. It is now in Maryland so should arrive tomorrow, six days late. That document was important and I am not happy. At first Wendy and Ken went to Packmail who would have sent it UPS or Fed Ex. But the address was a PO box so in order to send it certified, they were forced to use the US Postal service. Now I must apply for a refund. Last Monday I discovered in the days mail that my supplemental health insurance with Blue Cross Blue Shield had been cancelled with Ken's demise. We thought it was automatic. In their computer I receive benefits upon Ken's death. Fortunately I read the letter which really was just alerting Ken that his benefits were terminated. I called Blue Cross who told me that I must contact OPM and gave me their number. But it was always busy. I got up early and was able to get through to find that the information was accurate. I must apply on the proper form and send a death certificate and a copy of our marriage license. Wendy filled in the form and found the two documents. When the proper person logs the information into their computer I am once again covered retroactively to Ken's death. By noon the document was on the way..or so we thought. We had done our job. But the US Post Service did not do its job. I have Medicare for hospitalization and Doctor care but the supplemental insurance with Blue Cross Blue Shiel covers most everything else including the copay on medications. I am keen to have my benefits reinstated. But no sense getting angry. I often think that once one mistake occurs the others will follow. I should have contacted OPM immediately on Ken's death. But now we are on the right track. I hope.

No comments: