Wednesday, April 24, 2019

April 24, 2019. Madison, Mississippi. Wendy Morris.

I have always been impressed by the American Salvation Army officers. This was true when we attended the Prince Georg's Corps years ago and is still true now. Last week Wendy Morris came to have coffee with me. She is, along with her husband Steve Morris, the Divisional Commander. Their division is large, Mississippi, Louisiana and Alabama. I enjoyed my visit with her husband and their daughter when he came to pick up the crest, and I enjoyed my conversation with Wendy. She is an energetic and enthusiastic officer. One of the reasons I enjoyed talking with her was that she works hard and loves her work. And she has installed systems to keep in touch with their officers. She does not merely respond to problems. She has systems in place to track results. I thoroughly enjoyed our time together. But unfortunately, they were both so successful here that they have been promoted. They will be moving to Atlanta, the headquarters of the southern territory, where they will be in charge of personnel. I do not recall their actual title but as much as I could tell, they are responsible with trying to figure what officer could be placed in what location. In other words, they will be evaluating talent. Their son Andrew is finishing his 11th grade so he will be only one year for his final year at the new school. But he is a good cornet player and should fit well into the music program because he is a good player. Also, he would like to major in Music at college. On the faculty at the U.of Georgia is Phil Smith, an old time Salvation Army bandsman who was also the first chair trumpet player at the New York Phil. And a wonderful player even now. Andrew wants to audition with Phil Smith. So the Salvation Army wheel turns once again. And I will miss the only two officers I know in Jackson, both of whom I like. Wendy is a good lady and I wish them well as they move to Atlanta in June. I appreciated my time with her.

No comments: