Thursday, April 4, 2019

April 4, 2019. Madison, Mississippi. A Toast to Broadway.

When I attended the new musical "The Sweet Potato Queens", I noticed a small advertisement in the playbook, telling of a fundraise at The Fairview Inn, a lovely old Inn in downtown Jackson. For a ticket, you got dinner and entertainment. I thought it would be fun to attend, so before we left the theater, I bought two tickets. I knew that when I got home I would talk myself out of attending. Then I had the issue of who could go with me. Neither Christina or Mary Frances could come so Greta Barbour was delighted to join me. And she did. I took Lyft both ways and we met at the Inn. When I arrived, Greta Barbour was waiting for me and told me that all the fancy people in Jackson were in attendance. And the place was packed. The entertainment was show tunes from Broadway, sung by local artists. Such talent. They sang 22 songs. Some in groups some solos or duets. The entertainment itself was worth the price of admission. The songs they sang were from mew shows. Many tunes were unfamiliar to me or Greta Barbour. We both loved them all. In addition, the dinner was delicious. Salad, small filet mignon with vegetables and cheese cake for dessert. And lots of wine. In addition, they held a silent auction. I did not bid on a single thing, which was a first for me. Vision and mobility make life difficult. I enjoyed the evening and am glad I went. Greta Barbour waited the 4 minutes for the Lyft to come and I was on my way. The driver helped me up to the door in the dark and he made sure I could open the door. I am not used to being in crowds of people so I was happy to be home in my quiet home. But I am pleased I went to The Taste of Broadway.

No comments: