Saturday, April 27, 2019

April 27, 2019. Madison, Mississippi. Molly Rice.

One of the pleasure of getting old is watching your friends children grow up and become successful. My friend Marilyn has three children. All are productive and competent. I knew them as little children and son Steve came on the horse back riding trip with us in Alberta. Molly, the youngest child, has chosen to be a writer and playwright. For several years she lived a hand to mouth existence in New York city, teaching at Universities and having success having her plays produced off Broadway. Her path I felt was tenuous, but she persevered. Then she and her husband moved to Pittsburgh. She has been active in the theater scene ever sense and she teaches at the University with a full time position. Two years ago she was given a grant to produce a piece of art using Afghan women refugees. With my brain, my slate would be empty but these creative people come up with remarkable ideas. Molly met with several Afghan refugees in Pittsburgh. Initially, Molly thought that sewing would be the trick but food was uppermost in the minds of the women. Molly wrote a play in four parts and she selected five women to be the role models. Molly had the ladies select the actresses who would play their part. And the women did the cooking to give out after the show. The shows were sold out and very well reviewed. Marilyn will go to Pittsburgh for the final show. I am always so impressed but not surprised that creative people come up with creative ideas. I am so impressed. Marilyn sent me the link to read about the productions and I pass it on to you. https:/realtimeinterventions.org/. So congratulations to Molly, and congratulations to Marilyn for having such a creative child. I am so impressed with Molly and her success. Hats off to her.

No comments: