Thursday, January 2, 2020

January 2, 2020. Ancaster, Ontario. Old Friends.

Marg and Bill are old friends in every sense of the way. We knew each other when we were very young and we have been friends throughout the years. Now we are old in age. Very few friends knew my parents and knew me when I was a girl. All the friends I have been having lunch with me grew up in Salvation Army family. We have the same backgrounds. I enjoy getting together with these old friends. Marg and Bill are just a bit older than me but we have all known each other for most of our lives. When you move around as Ken and I did it is wonderful that we have all kept in touch. I was born in Toronto in 1937. Bill also lived in Toronto. When he was very young, he contracted polio. The doctors told his mother that he would never walk. The muscles in one leg did not develop. Both of our Mothers were Salvation Army officers. Bill's Mother worked every day to keep his muscles working. And my Mother called her every day to cheer her on. Bill has always walked with a limp but he went on to lead an active life. Marg took her nurses raining at Grace Hospital in Toronto when my Aunt Margaret was the superintendent. My aunt always spoke highly of Marg . And my Mother lead a choir of the nurses. So Bill and I and Marg are connected in many directions. They drove from the northern part of Toronto to have lunch with me. We had a grand time. They chatted with Dave and Irene before we drove to the restaurant. We talked about the present and the future. We already knew everything about our past. We all three agreed that we have had a wonderful life. And now we are enjoying ourselves. Bill still goes into work every day at 6:00. Marg looks after their house and cooks the meals. They play bridge several times a week. They both looked great and I appreciated their drive to have lunch with me. I loved every minute of my time with them. I love my new friends but I cherish my old friends too.

No comments: