Monday, January 20, 2020

January 20, 2020. Playa Royale, Mexico. Birds.

Yesterday at breakfast, frigate birds put on a display. We were sitting on the balcony watching the show. There were at least 30. They fly low and they fly high. One moment they are right in front of our eyes so we can see their white breast and long tail. Next they would sour so high that we could barely see them. Normally we see a few flying together but yesterday there was a large flock. I have no idea why. And I have no idea what they were doing zooming around the sky. They barely flap their wings. They were magnificent to watch. Out at sea we spotted the brown pelicans diving for their breakfast. They also fly beautifully but the most impressive activity we saw was when they dove to catch a fish. They dive straight down and. come up with a fish. Both Wendy and I were impressed. Close to the building we see lots and lots of swallows. They are small and close to us so we watch them as they catch the bugs from the air. They also are skilled at flying, changing directions to catch another bug. I think they are cliff swallows but they do not stop for me to get a better look. I enjoy these birds with all the skills on display. Again, I am fortunate to watch these displays of flying by these birds. Very impressive.

No comments: