Tuesday, July 14, 2020

July 14, 2020. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Flying to the US.

Gill e mailed me to tell me that in two weeks she will fly to New Jersey to spend time with Tim and Kate and her grandchildren. Her intention was to spend two weeks with the family at their country place in New Jersey, where they have been for three months. Gill will not go into New York City. I immediately wrote her back to say that the border is closed. But it turns out I was wrong. Tim had invited Gill. And had searched the rules and discovered that there was a loophole. If you try to drive across the border to the US from Canada, you would be sent back. But if you fly to the US, you will be admitted by border patrol. This makes no sense to me, but there it is. The border is closed between the US and Canada...unless you arrive in a plane. But you can not go the other way. You can not get into Canada from the US by airplane. You will be sent back. This is not well known in Canada. If you try to book a flight with an agent, they will tell you that they can not issue a ticket because they know the border is closed. But you can order a ticket on line directly where you are able to get your ticket and fly. The three Canadians I spoke to today about flying to the US were as surprised as me but they had no interest in flying to the US right now. "We are safer at home in Canada", was what they all told me. Gill is anxious about getting across the border. I hope all will go well with her. The real question is how on earth that loophole ever got into the law. I figure that some official in DC had relatives in Canada and wanted them to fly to visit. But I am a bit of a cynic.

No comments: