Friday, July 3, 2020

July 3, 2020. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Anna.

I am fortunate with my helper Anna. She is energetic, competent and smart. And she enjoys working with me. She is also pleasant. Before I came this summer, a friend in Mississippi asked me what my helper does for me in Nova Scotia. I laughingly commented that she does everything I ask her to do, which was a correct answer. Today was an example of how helpful Anna is to me. On her way to work she stopped at the grocery store to shop for me. We had made a list on Tuesday and I gave her money. When she arrived, the first thing she did was take out the trash. This is not easy because the driveway is long. After putting away the groceries, she cooked two pounds of bacon. Last summer she spotted bacon in the fridge and asked me if I wanted it cooked, which I did. She cooks bacon in the over using a cookie sheet. When it is cooked, she puts it into the fridge for me to use. I use the bacon to make myself a BLT or I use a couple of slices with breakfast. Last summer, Anna brought me lunch. One day it was a small container of her home made soup. Another day it was beef stew. Both were delicious. So on Tuesday, I asker her if she would like to cook a pot of something once a week. I have no house guests or caterer so I will be on my own. Anna laughed and asked me if I knew she was a good cook. I reminded her that I sampled two of her dishes. She thought it was a great idea so the next thing she did was to cook a pot of chili, which is now in the fridge for me to enjoy this weekend. Next she put in the laundry and emptied the dishwasher. Then we walked to the workshop to see the new floor. Gloria is coming to turn it into a bedroom but as the border is closed, she can not come. But the floor looks great. Anna accompanied me as I walked up and down our driveway. We must keep our distance but she wanted to be sure I was safe walking by myself. When we got to the road, we discovered that the ravens had opened one of the trash bags so papers and trash was strewn on the side of the road. Of course, Anna ran to get another bag to clear up the mess. After my walk we sat beside the pond admiring the 6 fishes, who survived the winter. She turned on the hose to fill up the pond. At 2:00 we ate lunch. For dessert we ate a muffin her daughter baked. And Anna made a cup of tea. While I put up my legs, Anna fed the fish and turned off the water...and puttered. The day was beautiful so we sat on the deck in the sunshine and watched for whales and we talked. At 5:00 she clocked out and headed home. No wonder I enjoy having her as my helper. She really helps. And she is good company too. While I am quarantined, we stay in separate rooms and Anna has a gown and mask. I am indeed fortunate with my helper Anna.

No comments: