Thursday, July 23, 2020

July 23, 2020. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Lunch at White Point.

White Point is the oldest and the best resort on the South Shore. After the fire of several years ago they have been blossoming. The new lodge is beautiful. My favorite place to eat for lunch is in the lounge overlooking the beach and water. Yesterday when I went for lunch with friend Sandra, that was where we ate. People were sitting on the beach in Adirondack chairs all up the shore and several children wee in the ocean. It was a charming scene. The resort opened after the lockdown just a week before I arrived. They decidied to only allow guests from Atlantic Canada. Much to my surprise, the parking lots were full and I overheard the lady on the phone that they had no water front cottages available for the next two weeks. So clearly Maritimers are filling up the place, which is good. I was pleased to see them flourishing. After the fire, they hired a new executive chef. The food improved and the menu was interesting. I knew that a new chef was hired in January so I expected to see a new menu but that was not the case. The lunch menu was identical to last summer so I was disappointed. Friend Mary Mac. looked up their dinner menu and several items are new. Our lunch was excellent and the service was good too. One odd thing occurred. After we had ordered, a lady came asking us for contact information with at least one of us giving address and phone number. Sandra filled it out and said that she lived in Atlantic Canada but I lived in Mississippi. Shortly, a man came wearing a mask to tell me that as soon as we had lunch, I would need to leave the resort immediately. No walking on the beach, no shopping in the gift store, no sitting by the pool. We both just laughed because we were intending to leave immediately anyway but the seemed to be taking their policy of only Atlantic Canadians allowed seriously. I thought it was interesting. After all, I had quarantined after crossing the border. Next time I will be a resident of Atlantic Canada, which I am. The young man took his task seriously. Perhaps our laughing did not help his speech. We still enjoyed our lunch and I was delighted to see they were so busy.

No comments: