Tuesday, July 7, 2020

July 7, 2020. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Happy Birthday Mary.

Last year we celebrated Mary's birthday by dining on lobster here at Western Head. Mary, Cliff, Gill and I ate our festive meal at their house. It was delightful. Today Mary is celebrating her birthday in Ocean View, De. where the temperature was 95 which means it is too hot to walk on the boardwalk. Her day was pleasant but muted. She wished she was here where the temperature was 57. When I called to wish her happy birthday, Mary asked about the weather. I could not lie. The weather has been gorgeous. Today we had full sun all day with little breeze. As we had a high of 57 today the day was perfect. The four Maritime provinces have made a bigger bubble. Now a person can for from one province to the other without a 14 day quarantine. Jn order to cross the provincial border you must take a temperature reading, which has made for long lines. Evidently people are ready and willing to take a road trip. My brother, who lives in Ontario, said that no one is hinting that the folks from Ontario will be admitted without the 14 days. And he thinks it will be a long time before the border between Canada and the US will open. Which means that the whole summer tourist season will be wiped out in Nova Scotia. For the last several weeks, the whole of Nova Scotia has had 3 positive Covid tests and they were in Halifax. But people are still staying home. And many folks in our county are wearing masks. Gill tells me that people in Liverpool are paranoid about the virus. Even though there has been no infection in our county for many weeks, the restaurants just opened last week. The same for the resort, White Point. My question is what will they wait for before they open up the whole economy? The answer is of course that they do not know. It is bizarre, at least from my standpoint. But I do not say that out loud. I might be lynched. I only wish that my friends the Ely's and Mitchell's were able to come to their lovely homes at Western Head instead of frying at home in Delaware and Maryland. I miss them.

No comments: