Monday, March 1, 2021

March 1, 2021. Playa Royale, Mexico. Mexican Carrots.

Carrots grown in Mexico taste better. I have no idea what makes them taste so good. Rita decided a few years ago that the carrots were delicious and they are. They are moist and sweet. They are grown just over the mountains from where we live so one reason may be that they are fresh from the ground. I have always enjoyed the humble carrot. One of the best smells remaining in my memory bank comes from the Sunday dinner. My mother put the roast beef in the oven along with the vegetables of potatoes, onions and of course carrots. When we returned from church, the smell in the house was delightful. One Sunday we returned home only to smell nothing. Mother had forgotten to turn on the oven. What a disappointment. I ate carrots in stews, in soups and all by themselves. We were always told that carrots were good for eyes but we all had bad vision except my sister Carol. I cooked carrots today. My favorite was to eat carrots is just plain. I boil them with a bit of salt. I never peel them. If the carrots look old I scrape them but these are new so I just cut off the ends and scrubbed them, then cut them into pieces of about two inches. I cook 4 at a time, eating half each time. I still have four in the fridge which I will eat with the chicken. I eat them with nothing on them, even butter which I have. This winter the only vegetables I have eaten were potatoes and carrots slong with lettuces, totatoes and cucumbers. Fortunately, I like carrots, especially the carrots in Mexico. I cartainly have eaten a lot of them this winter. Maybe my vision will get better. Hmm.

No comments: