Wednesday, March 24, 2021

March 24, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. Alterations.

When I fly, I wear the same clothes. On the lower half, I wear an old silk skirt made of different squares of silk. It is comfortable and is long enough that I can wrap around my legs to keep warm. When I was coming home from Mexico I felt my finger go through a hole which I knew was not a good thing. It took awhile to find the hole. At first when I was searching for the hole I was searching for a join between the squares. But I was wrong. One of the silk squares just disintegrated right in the center of the silk square. This is much more difficult than just sewing up a seam. I am fortunate in having two ladies who will make repairs close to my house. One lady is older who keeps short hours. Kashina never wants to go there because she is never there, at least not when we arrive. And there is another little chinese lady who works long hours and is quick. But she wants to tell you what should be done before you get to tell her what you want. But on Tuesday the older lady ws not there so we went to the second choise. At first I could not find the hole but she found it and was not pleased. She tut tutted a bit and finally said, "I patch". She told me that she would make a patch on the inside so I would not be able to see it. I am thinking an expensive job. But she told me to give her $10. And it would be ready in a week. I was delighted as the skirt is useful and looks good. People are always telling me how much they like my skirt. But the skirt must be 30 years old so no wonder the silk is deteriorating. Now I will be able to wear it travelling for another 10 years. Once again, I am astonished with the price of the repairs. These ladies do not charge enough for their skills. But I paid her the money and left, rejoicing as I left. I was in her shop for maybe 5 minutes. Nifty. I am getting to like that little lady.

No comments: