Saturday, March 20, 2021

March 20, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. My Lyft Driver.

I knew it was too good to be true for it to last. For the past year, Forrest has been my private driver. When I needed a ride, I would call him the day before. He would drive into my driveway and I would call for a Lyft, which he would accept immediately. The system was perfect for me. No waiting. No need for additional directions. No need to give the code. In addition, he was a nice fellow so pleasant to be with and he looked after me well, always walking right into the restaurant. But that is all in the past, at least at the moment. Forrest is retired. He sold his accounting firm and started to drive for Lyft just to have something to do. But a buddy of his asked for help from Forrest. The friend owns his own small business. His mother had always looked after the accounting. But she died a few weeks ago. The friend was trying to look after the paper work on his own but finally cried for help from Forrest. According to Forest, it is a job he did not really want to do but he decided to help until things gor organized then turn over the accounting to someonw else. Forrest called me on Tuesday to give me the news. He discovered a mess. The Mother was still running the accounting system the same way she has done it ever since the son went into business. Forrest must figure out the system, then set it up with modern technology. His friend is fortunate to have Forrest's help because Forrest is a CPA with a degree in accounting. But for me, I have lost my own Lyft driver...and I miss him.

No comments: