Tuesday, March 9, 2021

March 9, 2021. Playa Royale, Mexico. Kindness.

Anna has cleaned my condo every Monday morning since I arrived. She is bright and energetic and does a geat job of keeping the place clean. She is also unusual in that she speaks English, so we have chatted a bit. For the first 5 years of her life she lived in Los Angeles but she has lived in Puerto Vallarta ever since. She tells me that she likes cleaning for a living. "I start work at 9:00 and when I am finished my work I have no responsibilities until the next day," she said. Monday she asked me about my Covid test. She knew I was leaving on Thursday and she knew I needed a negative test in order to enter the US. So I told her that I had an appointment on Tuesday at 8:00 at the hospital across the street. I must look pathetic because she wanted to know who was accompaning me. When I told her that I intended to walk over by myself she would not hear of it. "I will come at 7:45 and take you," she said. I was surprised with her offer but I must admit I had been a bit anxious about getting across the road all by myself. I have not left Playa Royale property since my arrival so crossing that busy road would have been a challenge. I was relieved with her ofer of help. Anna was on time and I was ready to go. We walked over with no difficulty and the hospital was well organized. I checked in and paid the bill, waited five minutes to get the test, then walked home. We were home by 8:45, just in time for her to go to work. Their email arrived on my iPad this afternoon with a certificate, which Marlin will print for me tomorrow. I have always been impressed with the number of people who show me deeds of kindness, with no requst on my part. She was a big help to me and I appreciated her help. Tomorrow she is coming to say goodbye. I did give her pesos which she did not really want to accept. But fair is fair. I certainly appreciated her kindness to me.

No comments: