Sunday, April 11, 2021

April 11, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. Curling.

Both Doreen and I enjoy watching Curling on TV. It is the only sport that she watches. When Don watches hockey, she reads. When we went to watch the Super Bowl at the bat of an Italian restaurant, she read a book. But curling she loves. Ken curled once in Parry Sound while I never played. But when we were in Nova Scotia one March many years ago we watched the Brier on TV. It was the Championship of men's curling for Canada. We had no clue about the game but we figured it out. And we got hooked on curling. But at that time, no curling was shown on Tv in the US until one year when the American women started winning at the Olympics. So we got to watched curling at the Olympics. At the 2018 Olympics, much to the surprise of the elete curlers, the American team won the gold. Now every so often, curling can be seen on TV, which pleases me. Last evening, I had a great time. The world championship of curling was held last week in Calgary, Alberta and the quarter finals were to be played during the day. But last evening, on the Olympic channel, they showed the gold medal game between Sweden, the favorite and the US. I had seen parts of the match but not the whole game because I was in Mexico so I was delighted to be able to watch the match. I especially enjoyed watching because I knew what was going to happen. Then I just needed to see how the win unfolded. No anxiety. Just the question of what was done. In the 8th end, the US team scored 5 points and the Swedish team never recovered. Today on another channel, the semifinals in Calgary were televised but I did not watch. Both Canada and the US did not get to the semi finals. But the same American team who won the Olympic gold qualified for the 2022 winter Olympics. Curling is like every other sport, in that the more you know, the more interest you find in the game. These world class curlers are skilled and I love watching them. I even enjoy it when they blunder. I enjoy watching curling but i like it better when my teams win.

No comments: