Friday, April 30, 2021

April 30, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. The Sailing Expedition.

Alice Anne bought a small sailing boat in Galveston, Texas in 1965. Alice Anne was a good friend. She asked me if Ken had sailed, and I said yes, so she asked Ken to help her get the boat to the marina and then take the boat out for a sail, which they did. The plan was for Eleanor Porter and I to bring a picnic dinner for the four of us to enjoy after the sailers arrived in shore. Eleanor and I searched for the boat and finally spotted them. While we watched as they wended their way to shore Ken and Alice Anne tipped the boat over at least ten times. Finally they made it to shore and we ate dinner. Ken and Alice Anne laughed about their day and suggested that they must have tipped the boat a hundred times. Finally, Alice Anne said to me, "Why did you tell me that Ken had sailed. He knew no more about sailing than I did, which was nothing." I reminded her that she had asked me if Ken had sailed and I said yes, which was true. But he had only gone sailing once which I had omitted to say. But all was well and they had a memorale day. Ken and Alice Anne never went sailing together again but we three stayed good friends through all the years. But AA still will tell the story of the sailing expedition in Galveston Bay with Ken, where she fully expected that Ken would teach her how to sail her little boat. And we laugh.

No comments: