Friday, April 2, 2021

April 2, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. Creativity.

I marvel when I watch creative people at work. I know they work hard to learn their artistic expertise but where does it all get started. Obviously, a part of the brain controlling creativity is active in their bain from an early age. For me, the creative part of my brain does not work. I have some talent, but creativity is not my skill. The other evening, I watched a program about Twyla Thorp. I have known her name all my life but until I saw the TV show, I did not know the extent of her accomplishments. She started movingand dancing at an early age. And she has never stopped. At this time, she is old but she still dances and she produces productions of dance. It is amazing reading the lists of the number of dance productions she was responsible for. She looks old up close but from a distance she moves as if she was 30 years old. They showed a short clip of her work out routine, which she performs morning and night. "Every dancer must do this 2 or 3 tims every day" she said. It looked hard. But the real question was how she got the movement thing started. The whole thing is a mystery to me. My friend Eleanor was speaking to me one day about an empty canvas. She is an artist and mentioned that she was excited to be putting brush to canvas the next day. She was delighted to be doing it. I mentioned that for me it would be terrifying. Actually I would never start. Creativity is a wonderful gift but often creative people struggle with their lives. But I cheer them on and want them to continue the path they have set. I love the finished product.

No comments: