Wednesday, April 28, 2021

April 28, 2021. Madison, Mississippi. A Drive to the Country.

My car needed a good drive to keep my battery charged up. The man at the Subaru told me so. This morning was our day. My plan was to drive back roads to Canton, then eat breakfast in some nice restaurant. But Kashina is not pleased just wandering. She is happy to drive but she wants to know where we are going and on what highways. Yesterday evening I perused the map and seleted a routs that pleased me. We were to drive north on Highway 51, the old highway, find a place for breakfast, then wander home on back roads. The day was lovely and we left at 8:30. The drive north was pleasant. Not much traffic. 51 takes you right into Canton center square. The court house is charming, right in the middle and has been used in many movies. A couple of years ago we walked the town square and found two good restaurants, one where we ate lunch, which was excellent. We did note that day that 8 buildings were empty, which was not a good sign. Today, when we drove the square, both restaurants were closed and at least half of the buildings were shuttered close. Downtown Canton is dying. In order to find breakfast, Kashine drove towards the interstate and sure enough, we found a Waffle House, where we enjoyed breakfast. I had not eated breakfast at a restaurant for ages so I thoroughly enjoyed my meal. I felt like a 6 year old kid. I ate hash browns, sausage and a waffle. And of course, coffee. By then, as we were close to the 55 interstate, Kashina asked if we could take that route home. No wandering for her. Our day was delightful, even though we did not wander.

No comments: