Monday, July 19, 2021

July 19, 2021. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Fog.

Walt sold a house to a couple at Moose Harbor, close to where I live. A month after moving in, the couple stopped by Walt's office. When they were leaving, the man asked Walt why he had not been told about the fog horn. Walt apologized but in defence said to the the man that even though Walt had lived at Western Head for several years, Walt never heard the fog horn. Fortunately, the man laughed and told Walt that both of them love the sound of the fog horn. So all was well. I arrived late on July 2. The fog horn was busy for the next several days. Every time I woke at night I could listen to the fog horn. It was a welcoming sound. On Friday morning, Anna asked me if I could hear the fog horn all night because when she drove to my house, there was fog out at sea. I had to admit that I had no idea. In fact I do not really hear the fog horn now, unless I listen carefully. In other words, if the fog horn runs all the time, day and night, which it has since my arrival, I no longer hear it. My brain must shut out the sound of the fog horn. Amazing. It was just as Walt daid. "After living near the fog horn you never hear it." And he was correct.

No comments: