Thursday, July 22, 2021

July 22, 2021. Western Head, Nova Scotia. Vacation by Rail.

I am so pleased with myself. This afternoon I made a reservation to go across Canada by train, starting in Toronto and ending in Vancouver. I begin September 26, 2022 and end October 7 in Vancouver. I have always kept a list of places I wanted to visit. Going across Canada by train was on my list. Ken and I took the train from Montreal to Halifax so I had no need to repeat that journey. And in 1963 Ken and I took the train from Toronto to Montreal. In 1953, I took the train across Canada for Dave and Irene's wedding, but have not done it since. Also about 15 years ago I took the trip on the Rocky Mountaneer and hava always wanted to do it again. So now I am doing it. But not until the Fall of 2022. A few weeks ago I was speaking to my friend Butch. He has been house bound due to illnss and then Covid. During our conversation I asked him what he would like to go and see and he responded by saying that he wanted to go across Canada by train. Several years ago, he and his wife had booked a train trip across Canada but she got sick so they were forced to cancel. So we both agreed on that trip. My task was to find out what was available. His task was to obtain a passport. Three years ago, all his belonging burned in a fire in his apartment, including his passport. He assured me that he would accompany me, so I gathered information. I spoke with a lady at Vacation by Rail and I selected a trip which is a tour with guides. We start in Toronto and take the train living in our own cabins, sleeping three nights. Our tour spends a night in each of Jasper, Banff and Lake Louise. Then we take the Rocky Mountaineer to Vancouver, stopping overnight in Kamloops. After 2 nights in Vancouver, I fly home to Mississippi. First I booked my trip. Then I called Butch who told me to book his trip too. The nice lady I was dealing with was to phone him to get the deposit on his credit card. So we booked it. Now Butch must obtain his passport. And he must work on his conditioning. If you are not careful, being isolated can become debiliting. So Butch will hire a personal trainer to get him back in shape. I must keep up my walking too. So here we go. I am excitd for my 12 day cross country journey in 2022 and will be doing it with my friend Butch. Such fun! !

No comments: